Friday, December 13, 2013

The shadowed copse

With finals over, one would normally give in to atrophy of the mind for a while. But now is not a time for inaction. Yesterdays job hunt was less than fruitful, though I have come to appreciate the brevity of the applications that local businesses offer prospective employees. It's just making it past the application process that has proven to be quite the quandary. I know that experience seems to take a back seat to an amiable past, but I also know that if I were in the employers shoes that dependability would be paramount. I know that it only takes one manager to give the word, but two months in is a while and funds are running in short supply. This is going somewhere, so just put up with Downer Debbie. Hand her a weak cosmo and prop her up by the dj. There ya go. Daddy's got you. The last place I applied at yesterday was an assisted living center for the more upscale 50+ crowd. The place had almost a a townhouse on the course vibe, with doctors offices and services easily accessible for an adjacent footpath. If some adventurous soul were to drive to the crest of the hill and look back, they would see a massive, derelict complex. I'll admit that I had cased the place on Google maps prior, and who would turn down the opportunity to drive on Shadow-wood court? I can only speculate that this eerie monolith was once owned the Veterans Affair office that owns most off the plot. I know that the city of North Little Rock bought the land that was to become Pulaski Technical College back in 1945, and there has been recent development of townhouses that follow Pershing up the hill. I have no doubt that Baptist health owns this tract, as there is an office building down the way with the logo over the awning. It just seems like such a waste that this massive complex is just lying derelict in a area where affordable housing is desperately needed. Not to mention that it has a view that makes even a dump like North Little Rock look pastoral. The next time I'm up in that neck of the woods, I may snap some pictures and post them here as a little bit of incriminating evidence never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment